What Happened When I Added a Counterpoise to My HT

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. You have created a counterweight to your radio during the camping trip, you are very good

2. Chris Esser says:

I’m curious if that ring was thick enough to break the center conductor connection on your HT antenna. The SMA connectors on the HTs and scanners I have, that would be too thick and the center radiator would no longer be seated properly if I put that ring in there.

Also depending on the antenna, this applies to all antennas, adding wire to a design may detune the intended performance. If an antenna is designed as a balanced design, adding anything to it will break it’s intended resonance. This is seen often with people ‘grounding’ antennas that aren’t designed to be grounded.

• You must keep the formulas drawing otherwise the antennas year that performance you desire in both transmission and reception

• Chris, I’ve seen your posts on Facebook and I appreciate them. I agree that the SMA connection may not have been good after I placed the connector around the post. I’ll see if there is another way to ground the radio (perhaps to the chassis).

3. Jon Stow says:

Reblogged this on Amateur Radio News from Jon Stow, G4MCU and commented:
    Any comments for Brian? Interesting thought.

4. pentrus says:

Where did you connect the counterpoise. I do not mean to be impertinent, but was it attached directly below the antenna or to the chassis of the radio such that it did not make contact with the antenna?

• Great question. I placed it around the SMA connection of the radio and used the antenna like a screw to hold it in place. I suspect that the antenna did not seat properly.

5. Rich C. says:

I experienced the same problem when adding a counterpoise to my HT. My solution is to get a longer 2 meter/440 antenna and replace the shorter one now in use.

6. Mike Sambuco says:

Likely adding it shifted the feed point impedance and antenna resonance (electrical length,) so it would need to be adjusted to compensate. That typically happens when adding ground radials to vertical antennas on HF. — Mike, AL7KC

• hello Mike, AL7KC you with radiant floor creates obstacles, if you’re camping or on a scooter, and even on a roof of the car, the roof of the car for example being sheet reflects the radiant and not in a capacity that is receiving transmission, and the same for the scooter, and camping you have to raise it the antenna 3 meters or 3,5mt for a good signal especially if you’re in the high mountains (on the top of the mountain where it ends) so for a good haul to the valley